Thursday, September 16, 2010

Troy and Abed in the Morning

I know the Emmy's were a few weeks ago, but with Fall TV set to reclaim its throne as "Thing That Makes Me Least Productive After 9pm" (replacing the current winner: Octoberfest), I've been thinking about the current state of TV. I read the other day from some entertainment site that they believe sitcom comedy hasn't been this good since Seinfeld went off the air in 1997. I guess I'm inclined to agree because, due to either my laziness or unwillingness to accept aging, I'm more and more ok with just plopping my ass down in front of my TV and watching something I DVR'd.

Then again, I'm picky as hell with this stuff. I'd by lying if I said that, when I saw "The Office" and "30 Rock" were nominated again, as were Steve Carell (where have you gone, Produce Pete...) and Tina Fey, I was horrifyed. Not shocked, because we're talking The Emmy's here. But not happy.

(Has "The Office" solicited one honest, memorable laugh out loud moment in two years? Wasn't this year's "30 Rock" just Tina Fey acting flustered around that weeks guest star?)

Yes, I've seen "Modern Family" and...ok...it's pretty funny. I'm not sure how groundbreaking it is, considering it just moved "The Office" format into a family, presented a gay couple with a baby, then put Al Bundy in a jumpsuit...but it's still pretty funny. Yes, I've also seen "Glee" and, well, "Glee" sucks. Hard. I honestly haven't gotten a fad that was this popular since JNCO jeans and frosted tips. And even then, at least I tried the jeans. I fell a lot. But I tried.

The other stuff, like "Big Bang Theory" and "How I Met Your Mother" isn't for me, but I see the appeal. Geeks are in and Bob Saget's voice is like a dog whistle for money. So the popularity for them makes sense.

So here's my only questions: Where the hell is the love for "Community?"

Hells yes I'm biased here. "Community" isn't only my favorite show on right now...it might be my favorite show ever. Pop culture references from left and right, an entire character (the hilariously played implied-Aspergers-student Dany Pudi) who's entire life is one big movie and TV reference because he can't relate to the real world, Chevy Chase playing opposite himself, the ridiculously funny Donald Glover, and Joel McHale's snarkiness. Creator Dan Harmon created the anti-sitcom: a world where every character is astutely aware that they are the characature of themselves, and the absurdity goes from there.

"Community" has blended everything that I've attached myself to in today's comedy world. It's modern, against the grain, revels in the viral, and practices in the absurd (see: Starburns). No show has elicited more laughs from me, and laud from critics, for originality in years.

But no Emmy nods. No mention of Troy and Abed's bromance. No hardware for Ken Jeong's "Senor Chang" character. Just occasional praise for the epic "Modern Warefare" episode which, to this day, is probably the best half hour of television ever. If you love action movies, anyway.





It would have been nice for such a great show to get a little attention, but I guess in a weird way it's for the best that people continue to adore "The Office" despite the lack of laughs. It's probably going to keep shows like "Community" fresher for longer. Like how Current TV is a great network with three great shows (Infomania, Rotten Tomatoes Show, Supernews) but nobody cares about it. Quick tangent about "The Office"...an actual conversation with my buddy Jarrod yesterday.

HIM - "When does 'Community' start again?"

ME - "The 28th, I think. 'The Office' starts that week, too."

HIM - (pause) "Do they still let Pam talk?"

ME - "They did last year, yah."

HIM - "Then I'll wait another year before I start watching again. Maybe it'll be funny."

I guess the best case scenerio for "Community" now is being like "Scrubs:" Underappreciated for a decade, constantly a threat to be cancelled despite a cult following, genuinely funny right to the end, and a killer way to kill an afternoon when reruns start popping up. Until then, hooray for Troy and Abed.


No comments:

Post a Comment